Monday, November 9, 2009

Mint Oreo Truffles, Anyone?


So, I found this truffle recipe on Bakerella.com that just sounded like it was definitely worth a try. Bakerella is a really fun website with lots of simple and cute baking ideas. You should definitely check it out!

If you are using normal Oreos:
1 package oreo cookies (divided… use cookie including the cream center)
(Reserve 7 cookies for decorating)
1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
Chocolate or white chocolate bark

If you are using Double Stuf (Mint) Oreos:
1 pkg. Double Stuf Mint Oreos (1 lb. 1 oz. pkg.)
use 22 cookies with cream centers included
use 10 cookies with cream centers discarded

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
Chocolate or white chocolate bark


Directions for both:

Finely crush the cookies in a food processor or a ziploc bag with a rolling pin. Stir in softened cream cheese. Mix well until good consistency. Roll the mixture into 1″ balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. Place covered in freezer for a few minutes to help retain shape when dipping.. Melt chocolate as directed on the package and then dip balls into chocolate. tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. Add any toppings before chocolate is completely set so they will stick. Refrigerate and enjoy!

I took some of the crushed cookies and some of the chocolate bark shavings and reserved them for sprinkling on top of the truffles.

Well, on the tastiness scale, they rated well with me. However, I do prefer the consistency of a real creamy truffle instead - just personal preference. But they were fun and different and the classic mint Oreo flavor always wins me over. I think next time I will use normal Oreos, since you can usually get them at a better price, and then add a few drops of mint extract and see if that will still do the trick.

Here's my other awesome realization - well my favorite Oreos are the ones dipped in white chocolate that you can only get at Christmastime. I always try to stock up and hide them away when they come out since they are so hard to find in the stores after like a week. Well, now I can just get some almond bark and dip those anytime of year! Mmmmm. My husband will be so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment